Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Reality Bites (ouch!)

In the past three months, I have submitted at least 30 job applications, for positions ranging from the mundane to the exciting. I have revised my resume over and over again to fit the qualifications of each position, and I have written what seems like countless cover letters. To date, I've received no response from a single position.

I am a highly intelligent, successfully performing college graduate. I recently finished a prestigious and challenging teaching program. And I am unemployed. At no point in my undergraduate career did anyone say "hey -- you should really get yourself some IT skills." At no point did a degree in the liberal arts seem like an employment death-wish. Neither did the organization I spent two years in the classroom through caution me that I would have no relevant experience to transfer into a different job sector.

Blame the economy, blame the administration, blame your life-choices. Any way you cut it, unemployment sucks. Especially in light of the fact that I am over-qualified in potential, but lack relevant experience. To summarize a scene in Reality Bites (a brilliant and humorous look at post-college life a' la 1994), I'm not going to work at Burgerama like the retarded boy from the news is, because I'm not retarded (see previous paragraph for evidence to this nature).

So throw me a friggin' bone here people! Or, in the meantime (and it is mean, that time thing is...), enjoy a clip from the video that currently sums up my life.


No comments: